Monday 17 September 2012

2 Take a leap.

In the past few weeks I have discussed various ways to identify what type of body you have, who you are and little tricks on how to start your journey to a healthier you. This week I'd like to share a bit about my routine in the past and present and how I changed my routine to better build my health. 


During my final year as a year 12 VCE student. I wanted to maintain my health to have a stronger immune system, with higher levels of energy and better concentration in my studies. I took my first step In February, I began to get back onto my bike and have 20km rides everyday, recording each statistic with the free application, mapmyride.com seen in my previous post "I need it!". A month after cycling on a daily basis, I incorporated weight training into my routine after each cycling session. I used a full body workout each time instead of a muscle group specific workout, this was an attempt for me to increase my metabolism and muscle v fat ratio equality. I continued this routine until May when I realised I don't have a solid direction and I wasn't eating right to maintain energy levels and nutrients for muscle development.

During mid May I happened to mention my routine and diet with a patient at the chiropractic medical clinic I was employed in. Having discussed my situation to him, he provided me with his expert advice as personal trainer and dietitian. I started off by addressing my diet and snacking on nuts and berries to maintain a stable metabolism and appetite, later on addressing my somatotype in the process I defined what my goal was.

All that said, he helped me devise a workout on his next visit which consisted of morning cardio, optional cardio after school and one muscle group specific training in the evening. This was followed by a six meal diet to cater for my Mesomporph x Endomporph somatotype to have a higher muscle v fat ratio.

This six meal diet was a protein based diet with minimal carbohydrates to help me have a higher muscle v fat ratio.

This consisted of:

Morning
Morning Sprint
Two Eggs and/or Muesli and Yoghurt and/or Fresh Fruit (with flaxseed and chia seed)
Followed with a glass of minimal process fresh milk.

Morning Tea/Recess
Nuts and Berries and/or Fresh Fruit and/or One Can of Tuna

During Class / Study (Snack)
Nuts and Berries or Fresh Fruit

Lunch
A wrap or wholemeal sandwich with a variety of filling
Regularly consists of plain roast turkey, avocado, tomato, onions and greens
No spread was used except for cottage cheese, which is high in casein; a slow burning protein that is low in fat, great for muscle recovery.

After school
A salad with tuna or chicken (steamed)

After evening cardio or pre-workout
Nuts and Berries and/or fresh fruits
Followed by a glass of fresh milk

Dinner
Dinner meals normally consist of red rice or black rice with fresh steamed asian greens and some fresh meat. Occasional stir fry with minimal to no oil used.

Followed by sufficient amounts of water and fluids to keep me hydrated.


The result? From 55 kilograms at 5'1 with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 22.3 I cut my weight down to 52 kilograms and a BMI of 21.1. Was I happy? Yes! OF COURSE I WAS. Higher levels of energy and concentration not to mention a more defined stomach. It was a large difference.

I still follow this workout very closely, largely focussing on muscle gains, sadly due to studies and other commitments my muscle v ratio is just hanging in there.

Are you willing to take the leap?

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I'm a 20 year old girl who is trying to lose weight. I've been eating low carbs and high protein for about 4-5 weeks and I've lost 5-6 kilos so far.

    What exercise would you suggest me to do? How many days of cardio and how many days of resistance training/weights should I have?

    I feel like I'm reaching a plateau with this low carb/high protein diet, what diet would you recommend if I want to quicken my metabolism?

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anon,

    Kwongie here, first of all congrats on the hard work!
    Not so much, how many, it's more about how you execute your workouts.
    Sleeping also plays a large part in your journey to reaching your goal. Make sure you sleep
    adequate amounts each night, minimum eight hours and please do try to sleep before midnight.

    If you're reaching a plateau, it is always great to stick with the same routine and workout for sometime before moving off the routine or workout as it may just be a bodily reaction due to a number of variables.
    Such as hormone change, weather, stress or just the general flu.

    If the plateau state doesn't change in any form. A change in diet or workout routine is suggested.

    Can you give more information as to your current diet and workout routine>

    But if diet wise, the suggestions I can give based solely on the information is split your meals up through out the day, small portions of quality meals. Refrain from not having sufficient amounts of sleep. Keep to your workout and routine on a consistent basis. Most of all do not find shortcuts in your workout routine and diet as this defeats all the hard work and effort you have made.

    I hope that helped.

    Kwongie from That Potato

    ReplyDelete

 

That potato. Copyright © 2011