Wednesday 19 September 2012

3 Too easy

Yesterday I fell to the temptation of having two Hungry Jacks meals with some uni-friends after our lecture. It felt amazing. But at the same time I was terribly guilty and wished I had resisted. 
As I went home after my guilty meal I decided to take my bike out for a ride back into the city to soak up the beautiful spring weather and burn off the burgers...

A lot has changed on the trails and routes since my last ride out to the city in Autumn. There were a few more picnic areas erected around the Yarra Bend and some more benches and facilities for families. But this isn't what I want to talk about today.

What I really want to talk about is this new climbing wall under Monash Freeway, near Burnley Tunnel. Open to public and built in space that is normally left empty.

It's far too easy for many places like under a bridge or behind a parking lot to build a few walls to climb for the public. It's even easier for us Potatoes to be active and engage in active activities with our friends and family with the many facilities readily available in the community.

Many cities like Melbourne are full of nature trails and tracks shared between pedestrians, furry little family members and cyclists. These trails are great for having a walk, run or cycle with family or friends. Not to mention the musculoskeletal developing facilities located along some of these tracks and trails.

Various community events catered for young children to seniors hold various yoga, tai-chi, and other exercise classes in parks, community centers and other open areas free of charge to the community. There are also cycling groups where you can join free of charge with no commitment on set dates of the month or week.

Isn't it easy to be engaged in active activity?

Too easy.

Kwongie

3 comments:

  1. Hey hey, it's Jen again. I just want to ask how can I get into the climbing wall facility area?
    Is it just off the side of the trail or do I have to some how find a hidden little enclosure?

    I really want to try it out! I've never been rock climbing or any form of climbing. It looks like good fun. Should I bring any specific gear in advance?

    Thanks That Potato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jen,

    It's Kwongie from That Potato, I'm glad you are interested in this category of sport.
    I normally access the climbing facilities via the Yarra Trail. I've only been there a few
    times so far and I prefer to warm up with a ride before hand.

    Attached is a link to a PDF file detailing the climbing facilities. Although the PDF file
    emphasises the importance of climbing with a spotter. I haven't yet bouldered with a
    spotter and normally climb alone. I would best suggest you find a friend to spot each
    other during your climbs as accidents do occur.

    As for gear I bring a change of shoes which are my Vibram Speeds. Due to it's
    minimalistic design providing me with more control in each climb. I don't use chalk
    but I do recommend chalk as i currently am using my training gloves which aren't
    designed for bouldering but still works like a charm.

    http://www.chockstone.org/Melbourne/BurnleyGuidebook.pdf
    (Burnley climbing wall)

    I hoped that helped!

    Tell me about your visit.

    p.s. How did the track training solution go?
    Kwongie

    ReplyDelete
  3. KWONGIE!

    I went to the rock climbing place today!
    I walked through Fed Square down that gravel-lie bit and towards the trail. My the weather and the view was swell as! I liked the climbing with my friends but i must say it isn't easy. One of the guys there was so pro, he climbed with just his hands and showed us how to boulder.

    It was so hard though.

    OH and the track suggestion is really helpful, only on try tracks though. I actually wore the same canvas shoes for today. It worked pretty well I guess.


    Thanks Kwongie. Are there other free activities closer to the cbd with less walking? 8)

    ReplyDelete

 

That potato. Copyright © 2011